Saturday, October 11, 2008

More Things to Worry About: Fish

First I find this: "'Virgin Birth' By Shark Confirmed".
Scientists have confirmed the second-ever case of a “virgin birth” in a shark, indicating once again that female sharks can reproduce without mating and raising the possibility that many female sharks have this incredible capacity.
Well, this is just great: the sharks are going to take over the oceans, 'cause now they don't even need to find another shark to make more sharks! Pharaoh-style population control of sharks apparently won't work.

Then, the horror deepens: "Humans scoffed by mutant fish".
A FEARSOME mutant fish has started killing people after feeding on human corpses, scientists fear.

They reckon that a huge type of catfish, called a goonch, may have developed a taste for flesh in an Indian river where bodies are dumped after funerals.

Locals have believed for years that a mysterious monster lurks in the water. But they think it has moved on from scavenging to snatching unwary bathers who venture into the Great Kali, which flows along the India-Nepal border.
Giant men-eating catfish, too? I always thought of catfish as innocuous (and tasty) bottom-feeders. Apparently even they have a bloodthirsty streak. The fact that they're swimming in the "Great Kali" river ought to have been a hint: I bet those creepy "Temple of Doom" Thuggee cultists probably feed people to these monsters.

If anyone needs me, I'll be under the bed, trembling with fear.

No comments: