Friday, April 10, 2009

Phase Two Complete!

Haven't updated in some time, and I may have no more readers, but thought I'd explain the hiatus anyway. For the past two semesters, I've been reading for my comprehensive exams -- the second hurdle for a Ph.D. in English Lit. The reading took most of my time, and I've been in hermit mode for months. Not to brag, but to explain, I offer my lists for perusal: Old English, Middle English, and Renaissance Non-drama.

(Yes, I did start a comps blog, intending to blog my comps notes. Didn't finish, though -- didn't have time.)

But, now that stage is over: I passed both my three written exams and the oral exam, and now can move on to the dissertation stage. I'm excited about writing a dissertation: I have a project planned that I'm proud of, though I need to get it approved before beginning in earnest. Of course, it will also cut into my blogging time, though hopefully I can maintain a stronger connection with the outside world than during my comps.

So, in sum, I still have a ways to go, but I'm one step closer to the end. I permit myself some modest satisfaction and celebration, but I'm keeping my game face on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Christopher is also in the disertation phase of his doctorate. I'll keep praying for you and Katie as you work toward a most worthy goal. One question. Will I have to call you Dr. Grubbs or can I keep calling you David like I've always done? HA! Maybe Dr. David! Meredith calls me a blog stalker because I read blogs but never comment. So now you know what I really am. Love, Martha Evans

Dave said...

Nope, I'm still David to family and friends! Only a doctor when I need to pull rank...

Amy said...

Congratulations! I'm sure that was quite a relief!

Bruce Grubbs said...

It is great that you have crossed that significant hurdle. We are trusting that the Lord with see you through the next phase of writing your dissertation. Love you and are proud of you!!!
Dad