Monday, September 11, 2006

What can I say that has not been said?

Especially now, five years later? When I remember September the 11th, 2001, I feel exhausted. My emotions crystallized into personal axioms, and I no longer feel this day -- I think it. In fact, it is hard to think outside of it. How do I think outside of the awareness that people I've never even met want to kill us -- and, in fact, succeeded on a large scale? And no lasting comfort and no complete justice.

"I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety." How long since I had that? Or perhaps that was not what I had: not peace, but ignorance.

When God holds up the world in front of our face, and says, "This, THIS is what you and your kind are like," should we be content?

No comments: