Sunday, October 28, 2007

Chomp!

For those who don't follow SEC football -- i.e., me -- the Bulldogs slaughtered the Gators yesterday. Naturally, I am pleased, but not because I particularly care about a game in which large men convey an inflated bladder across 100 yards of battered grass. No, I am pleased for another reason. The Dawgs got celebratory yesterday, with a rowdy team spirit that cost them several fouls and won them the game. They wanted this badly, and they got it. Again, happy football players qua happy football players are not interesting to me. But happy football players I know -- they interest me. The case in point: Jarius Wynn, whom I teach in English comp, doing a splendidly insulting "Gator Chomp" back at the aghast Florida fans. This is not a kind gesture, but it is definitely audacious, and I can admire audacity.

Well played, Mr. Wynn -- well played.

No comments: