Sunday, May 28, 2006

A Requiem for Privet

Now for a quick recap of last weekend (May 19-21)! First, the background. My best friend, Jonathan, is getting married this summer to Meghan, an adorable little bundle of sweetness he met somewhere or other (see below). Jonathan's parents are Uncle Kyle and Aunt Cindy. Close comparison of the photo below with the one above should lead any keen observer to conclude that J's got a good bit of his mama and his papa in him! So, when J&M are wed, they're going to live in a renovated 100+ year old barn on J's parents' property. They are in the midst of the renovation now. And here's the barn, from two angles:Here are some shots from inside the barn: the view out the back of the loft, and a close-up shot of a beam. Isn't it lovely? They don't make barns like this anymore, except maybe in Amish country.Now for the main event: the Privet Holocaust! Surrounding the barn on all sides was an unruly and impenetrable thicket of privet. It had to go. So Uncle Kyle rented a Bobcat, and J spent the better part of two days laying waste the privet like a small mechanized Visigoth horde.
Behold the mighty Bobcat! Fear its wrath!
J saddles up to take the war to the privet!
Into the Valley of Privet rode the... one. With a Bobcat.
M looks on and cheers. Actually she looks rather thoughtful and pensive. But I'm sure she's cheering on the inside.

And once the carnage was over, vast swathes of privet lay crushed and beaten upon the field of conquest, piled high like a conqueror's pyramid of skulls. Good night, sweet Privet, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Dave...love the pics! I am so excited about your blog...I will be a faithful subscriber...well...I won't pay you any money for reading it...but I will be regular reader, let's say that! ;-)

MomMom said...

mwaa-ha-ha

That's fabulous!

MomMom said...

PS - They make 'em like that at the Birmingham Zoo... Jonathan and I discovered that yesterday. :)