Not knowing what a group of haikus is actually called, I shall coin a term: a brevity of haikus. And here's one now!
ON THE VIRTUES OF PICARESQUE
The hero's a fool,
So his fall isn't tragic:
We laugh off his pain.
CANTICLE
Domine Noster,
Causa tuae gratiae
Laudaris nobis.
ON QUESTIONS OF PRUFROCKIAN IMPORT
Sheep ask only once,
But you must know your limits:
Strike three times, you're out.
ON NEGOTIATING FOR GRADUATE SEMINARS
I plead for colleagues,
Stress equity -- but, really,
It's all about me.
A RESPONSE TO A COMPLEMENT REGARDING MY HAIKUS
Why, thank you, Sara!
Haikus are the height of style:
Leanest concision.
ON DISCOVERING MY SPENSER PAPER TOPIC ISN'T ORIGINAL
Spenser's Saracens
As doubles for popery?
That's been done to death.
ON CHILDREN'S LITERATURE AND NEO-INQUISITORS
Sure, there's brooms and wands,
Spells, pointy hats -- nonetheless,
Harry's not Wiccan.
ON CONTEMPLATING INTERIOR DESIGN
I say, "Mission Style,"
"Southwest," "Tex-Mex," "Navajo"--
I mean, "Clint Eastwood."
ON ENCOUNTERING A PSYCHOPATH IN THE WOODS
Given the bush-hook,
Clenched in his fist, dripping gore,
I chose to retreat.
UPDATE: So, Jeff informs me that a haiku collection is a renga. I poked about a bit on Wikipedia, and it seems this whole haiku (and renga) business is a bit more complex than I knew. Briefly, renga is a form of collaborative poetry from which haiku derives in the history of Japanese poetics; the English haiku is a fairly modern and greatly simplified version of the true Japanese haiku, such that I feel impertinent to even call these tawdry lines by that name. Also, I have been incorrectly forming the plural of "haiku" as "haikus"--apparently "haiku" is both singular and plural.
Thursday, February 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think that a collection of haiku(s) is called a "renga."
Post a Comment