Saturday, May 05, 2007

Cinco de Mayo!

Or, in other words, the holiday that celebrates the fact that even Mexico has whipped France. And, by the way, it's not Mexican Independence Day: that's in September. Instead, it commemorates the Battle of Puebla at which the aforementioned Gaul-thrashing occurred, and therefore is more of a regional than a national holiday. For Americans, it's just another excuse to drink and dance. Nations of the world, answer our call! Give us your holidays and we'll party right along with you! Extra points if your culture has a distinctive and palatable alcoholic beverage...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think that you can really say even Mexico has whipped France. This was the ONE BATTLE that they won, and according to that article

"However, the Mexican victory at Puebla only delayed the French invasion of Mexico City, and a year later, the French occupied Mexico. The French occupying forces placed Maximilian I, Emperor of Mexico on the throne of Mexico;"

So let's not get too hoity toity, Mr. Francophobic. :oP

Dave said...

Granted. I did read the whole thing, you know--I just pass up the chance for a little Gaul-baiting. :-)

Actually this is a rather sad moment in Mexican history: Maximilian I was essentially drafted into the position of Mexican emperor by various European elites, who then promptly abandoned him. The Mexican people revolted, and Maximilian I was put against a wall and shot. So, while the French DID defeat and occupy Mexico, I wouldn't say they exactly covered themselves with glory: they didn't get defeated along with Max because they deserted him. Which is a crying shame: from what I've read of Max, he was a decent (albeit naive) guy whose friends convinced him the Mexican people wanted him for their ruler. The Mexicans, on the other hand, resented having a foreign ruler forced on them. It didn't matter what kind of king Max might have been: he represented an unwelcome intrusion into the country's affairs. Of course, it was also a stickier situation in Mexico than I've thus far indicated: there were the commoners, and then there were the "gentry", the powerplayers. If I recall correctly, Max saw himself as liberating the oppressed commoners from the scheming, power-hungry gentry. Only the commoners sided with the gentry: there's nothing like an invasion to bring people together.

Anyway, I suppose that's enough Mexican history for today...

PS: I ain't scared of the French at all. :-)

Dave said...

Read "I just COULDN'T pass up..." in the first sentence...

Anonymous said...

You possess a ridiculous amount of knowlege...

And yeah, I guess it should be Franco-hater, but I couldn't think of a good suffix. :oP

Lemme guess...you know one.

Dave said...

I know an Italian! Does that count?

Anonymous said...

Wait, are you saying that you know a guy who is Italian or that you know, an Italian would be a name for a Franco-hater?

'Cause I think that you just punctuated yourself out of your place as world's smartest man.

Dave said...

Ah! Now I undertstand the question. I thought you were refering to that lame line people pull sometimes:

"I don't hate [insert ethnicity here]! I know one!"

I thought you were asking if I knew any French people, in evidence of my NOT being a Francophobe. And I don't know any French people, but I do know an Italian. Maybe Fritalian!

I neither fear nor hate the French. Instead, I find them lame in an humorous way. Besides, I'm an Anglophile, and part of that whole gig is an amused disdain for the French. It's a pose, sister mine, and nothing very profound--I just find it funny to keep up.

Anonymous said...

You're a goob. :oP