Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Irony Goes "Drip! Drip!"

Remember Dan Quayle's "potatoe"? The New York Times does. In fact, in its Monday article discussing Dan Quayle's recent book review in the Wall Street Journal, Mr. Quayle's iconic gaffe got top-billing:
When it comes to journalism, the former vice president Dan Quayle would probably rather be known for his family’s onetime publishing empire than for his orthography (remember the potato incident).
Ha ha! Dan Quayle is so stupid! He can't spell "potato"!

(Which was spelled "potatoe" on the spelling flash cards the school gave him. So, actually he didn't trust his own memory over the purportedly authoritative source he'd been given to use. Seriously: who's got the guts to spellcheck the dictionary? I don't! Why is this still an issue?)

Anyway, so ol' Dan writes a book review, which is somehow funny because almost twenty years ago he misspelled a word in public. This seems to be the whole point of the NYT article. The title--"Ex-Vice President’s Review Is ‘Full of Heart’"--is so snarkily condescending that you know the only reason it was written was to set up a Dan Quayle joke. Think NYT doing SNL. Only they got the punchline tragically, hilariously wrong. If you followed the link above, note the last sentence:
“Even thought there are quotable lines, I would probably urge my editors to stay away from that,” Mr. Feinstein said. “It’s Dan Quayle.”
Yes, indeed: the journalist wrote "thought" instead of "though." In an article which exists only to mock a washed-up politician for attempting journalism after once misspelling a word, the journalist misspells a word in the last sentence--the punchline! Just in case they notice and fix the error, here's a screen capture to document the NYT's miscarried jest for all time:

If I was Dan Quayle, I'd find a certain amount of vindictive satisfaction in this. As it is, I just feel schadenfreude.

No comments: