Well, I'm back, dear readers. (Assuming that I still have readers.) It's been a crazy summer and a crazier start to the fall semester. There've been a few changes at the Hermitage: namely, a new occupant and a new location. As most of you probably know already, I'm married (hooray!). Also, I no longer live in the Laurel Oaks apartments (the "Oak" in "Oak Hermitage"), but instead in a little complex called The Bluffs. The Oak Hermitage shall keep its name, however: I still like it, and there are enough oak trees at the current location to justify the reference. Of course, being married, I'm no longer a hermit: more of a monk, in the old Irish style, living a cozy little cloister with his nun wife. (Totally true: early Irish monasticism was an independent development from Mediterranean monasticism, and built around the ideal of a contemplative family community, not chaste asceticism.) But the "hermit" thing was always more of an artistic pose than a reality -- and one may always continue posing!
I'm a bit torn as to how to continue blogging, however. I've worked up an incredible life backlog, what with the wedding, the honeymoon, and the various adventures of the summer -- most of it documented with photos. Do I go back and dredge up those memories, which have lain fallow these long months? (Yes, I mixed a metaphor.) Or do I start afresh? After all, life will not pause itself to let me catch up with my blogging. Besides, this blog isn't a web-diary, really, but more of venue for random musings and the nifty treasures I find whilst panning through the muck of the Internet.
(I'm rather proud of that last metaphor. Re-read and savor it, dear reader.)
Nonetheless, with this post I open the shutters of my little scriptorium, dust the cobwebs off the desk, trim the quills and mix the ink, and resume the scribing of my life.
(scritch-scritch-scritch, says the quill.)
Friday, September 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Welcome back. Glad that the scriptorium has not been permanently abandoned, merely temporarily left empty while life invaded upon the writing pursuits of our esteemed Hermit.
I'm giggling reading this post bc I live with two teen girls, one eleven year old girl, a teen boy, and a special needs eighteen year old young man (yes David is now 18!). Anyway, what I usually hear around hear is, "so like so totally different than anything like you just said". And no we don't live in CA. You know we're still south of B'ham. I'm considering banning the use of the word "like" from this house.
Anyway I think I'm going to enjoy reading what you have to offer!
Post a Comment