Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Knights of the Dining Room Table: The Heroes Assemble!

Instinct is a powerful force. By instinct, salmon swim thousands of miles to spawn and die in the rivers of their birth. By instinct, monarch butterflies migrate across the North American continent, a journey that takes longer than the lifespan of any single butterfly, compelled by a directive imprinted in their genes. So too Geeks, driven by their inexorable instincts, must periodically gather to roll dice with far too many sides on them, muttering strange phrases like "multiclass" and "saving throw." These curious specimens are role-playing gamers. And I am one.

Though I used to have the time/opportunity to indulge this compulsion more frequently, I haven't gamed much over the past year or so. But things are looking up: some pals of mine back in AL have banded together, forming a (hopefully) regularly meeting group. Our game of choice: 3rd edition D&D. First, a roll call!
My brother, Brian G. He's been playing since boot camp, where they used paper dice I designed and mailed to them (real dice are contraband).Brian R. is a new player; this was his maiden voyage into D&D. I think he enjoyed it. His was the best line of the evening: "Does it have talons?"Eugene's a veteran, if decidedly unlucky with his Move Silently and Attack rolls.Wes is another old hand. Note the dice bag: it's a dead giveaway.I've been playing a while too, though I'm not that experienced with D&D. I'm more of a Call of Cthulhu or GURPS man, myself...Todd the Dungeon Master. He's been a player for years, but is just starting his foray into game mastering. Beware the Smiling DM!

No comments: