Thursday, August 23, 2007

Leave Your Pictures of Guns at Home, Bill

At first this seems natural enough: Arizona School Suspends 13-Year-Old Boy for Drawing Gun. Sure, suspension makes sense if the kid drew a gun in school--it's even a bit lenient, I think. That is, until I read the story more closely and discover that the "drawing" of the gun was literally that:
Officials at an Arizona school suspended a 13-year-old boy for sketching what looked like a gun, saying the action posed a threat to his classmates.
Here's the doodle itself:

Frankly, at thirteen I drew far worse than this in my school notebooks: entire epic battle scenes with bombs and tanks and hordes of infantry. Or else they were knights fighting dragons, or dwarves fighting orcs, or ninjas fighting each other. In fact, I still draw weapons in the margins of my class notes: swords and axes, mainly. If a badly-drawn pistol is such a threat, what would they think of me?

Also, why the immediate assumption on the basis of a single sketch that he is a threat to his classmates, when the story gives no other indications that this boy is troubled or violent? Especially when he told school officials that he intended no threat against anyone? Perhaps there's more to this story, but on the face of it, it looks as if having the interests of a normal boy is now a violation of the rules.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow. i should probably tell Asa to stop drawing his huge scenes of Samurais chopping off heads, legs, and arms. And his army model scene of D-Day should probably be confiscated. I hope he doesn't kill me this weekend.
~Amy Porter