The poor old Scandinavian moose is now being blamed for climate change, with researchers in Norway claiming that a grown moose can produce 2,100 kilos of carbon dioxide a year--equivalent to the CO2 output resulting from a 13,000 kilometer car journey.Not only that, but the Der Spiegel article also warns that "[b]acteria in a moose's stomach create methane gas which is considered even more destructive to the environment than carbon dioxide gas." Yes, you know exactly what they're talking about.
But, get this: I ran the numbers, and 13,000 kilometers is about 8078 miles. That's more driving than I do in a year, even as often as I drive between Athens, GA and Birmingham, AL! In other words, while the article is framing this issue as "Here's another thing destroying our precious environment", we can look at it another way: a single moose produces more harmful CO2 (and other) emissions in a single year than my car. Puts things in a different light, doesn't it?


No comments:
Post a Comment